A 125-Year-Old Classic
SPRAY is a Classic Morecambe Bay Prawner with an exceptional pedigree. Regrettably due to bereavement 'SPRAY' is looking for a new and caring custodian. No finance has been spared for her restoration and her continued professional maintenance and maritime upgrades to the highest level of any Morecambe Bay Prawner.
She was built by the famous Lancashire Nobby builder, Crossfields of Arnside in 1896 and is one of the last remaining boats from that era that is not only afloat but regularly partakes successfully in boating events all around the Irish Sea, from Liverpool where she is based. As well as a regular competitor in the Liverpool and Conway Nobby races. Her sailing Sailing adventures include North Wales, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Scotland, the Cumbrian Coast and not forgetting her years present at the Peel Traditional Boat Festival at Peel on the Isle of Man. Lots of trophies to her credit.
Built in 1896 by Crossfields of Arnside, she is 32’3” x 9'6” X 4', registered as 7.36 tons. She has accommodation for four persons, two single bunks and one large (bow) double / two singles. This turnkey boat comes with a large suite of sails, a self-folding propeller, Garmen GPS, Maritime DSC Radio and a 4 person liferaft. Her rigging comprises two Wykeham-Martin Furling Gears along with sheets set up for one person management of the mainsail. A two-burner stove and a fuel tank for 40 gallons. A reliable 40 hp inboard diesel engine fitted to a hydraulic gearbox. She runs at a reliable 7kts under power and can reach 9 knots under sail.
Sensible offers are considered for the purchase of this classic fishing boat. In the first instance please contact Kevin Goulding (Nobby Owners President) on 07967 829960.
Some Outline History
SPRAY fished Morecambe Bay until the early 1960s, then she fished the River Dee by the Evans family of Heswall. She then returned to Maryport until she was bought by her present owner in 1996.
Fishing Boat Registrations
LR102 [Lancaster] 30.10.1896 until 31.12.1900 sold to Silloth.
CL4 [Carlisle] 28.12.1901 until 07.09.1912 reregistered
CL4 [Carlisle] 07.09.1912 until 18.12.1913 sold to Annan.
BA40 [Ballantrae] 26.01.1914 until 30.05.1916 sold to Silloth.
CL4 [Carlisle] 22.04.1916 until 17.11.1920 sold to Morecambe.
LR20 [Lancaster] 15.12.1925 until 16.09.1937 to Barrow.
BW3 [Barrow] 03.10.1938 until ?
LL33 [Liverpool] 29.10.1958 until 15.10.1973 cancelled
SPRAY was built for John Gardner of 1 Main Street Morecambe, owned until at least 1898.1920 until 1925 she was used as a yacht by James Baxter, fish merchant of Morecambe. Raced in the Morecambe Regatta of 23rd September 1921.
Sold on 15th December 1925 to Wilfred Woodhouse of 27 Cross Street, Morecambe, who with his son got one hundred and twenty stone of big plaice out of the top end of the bay, a Morecambe record.